Monday, March 10, 2008

Ready for the summit attempt

This past week was a scheduled cutback week and it was a good one. I guess it's saying something when this cutback week featured 7 more miles than my peak training week last spring and it felt easy.

Monday - 6 miles recovery in the morning and 4 in the afternoon.

Tuesday - 9.2 miles including 6x600 intervals. I bumped this workout up one day because the weather forecast wasn't lookin good for Wednesday. The weather wasn't all that great for Tuesday either (windy and cold) but it was good to get the intervals over with early in the week.

Wednesday - 9 miles general aerobic. I ran out and back and the back portion was absolutely frigid thanks to the wind.

Thursday - 6 miles recovery in the morning and 4 in the afternoon.

Friday - 11 miles easy in the morning and 4.2 recovery in the afternoon.

Saturday - 8 miles at somewhere between easy pace and GA pace with 10x100 strides. This workout got screwed up because after I started I realized that I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be running at recovery pace or at GA pace, which is quite a difference (9:00 miles vs. 7:45-8:00 miles). I ended up with an 8:15 avg and it turned out it was supposed to be GA. Oops.

Sunday - 16 miles long. Absolutely, positively could not keep my pace slower than 8:15, especially during the second half. Oh well...

Total - 77.4 miles

This has nothing to do with running, but I spent a good two hours Saturday afternoon at Chuck E. Cheese for a friend's, daughter's birthday party. You haven't lived until you've been in CEC with approximately 1000 (okay, a little exagerration there, but it seemed like that many) kids running, screaming and crying all at once. If I could somehow harness that energy, I'd be training for the Olympics right now. As it was, it just left me exhausted and really not looking forward to the trip to the mall that followed.

On the weight front, I fully expected to see a 190-something on the scale on Saturday morning, but instead it said 201.2, a 0.8 lb. increase, which is a little baffling. I've actually been keeping track of calories consumed vs. calories burned the last couple of weeks and nothing was really different between last week and the previous week when I lost 2.4 lbs. I mean, really, how can you gain weight when you're burning between 11,000 and 15,000 calories per week (unless you really, really try)? My wife's philosophy is that I'm not eating enough, but I have plenty of energy, so I'm not so sure. I guess I'll wait and see what happens this week.

No comments: