Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Counting down the days

It's now 5 days until the Missoula Marathon and I'm starting to get antsy. Typically, this feeling starts about three weeks from a marathon, but when you run 3 marathons in 3 months, the 2nd and 3rd ones sneak up on you a little more. It wasn't until after I did speedwork and a 10K race last week that I thought "Hey, maybe I better start tapering for this thing." Oh well, I've heard stories of great success off a short taper. And, Missoula is designed to be a training run anyhow.

It's looking to be an action-packed weekend. I'm driving to Missoula on Friday with my sister in law, who is running the half-marathon. Once there, I'm crashing at my cousin's house. I'm hoping to catch an Osprey (minor leauge affiliate of the Diamondbacks) baseball game that night. On Saturday, some friends from the Running Times forum are rolling into town and we've got dinner plans. I'll also be going to the expo, gathering some last minute supplies and, hopefully, making a trip out to the Big Sky Brewing Company to pick up some post-race beverages (I won't have a vehicle while I'm there, so that one's dependent on me finding a willing ride). Sunday is race day and we get started nice and early, at 6:00. If all goes as planned, I'll be done around 9:30, which I think is a fine time to start drinking. It'll be noon somewhere and, really, I don't give a damn because after a marathon I'll pretty much do whatever I damn well please. In this case, that will involve Moose Drool and Summer Honey and maybe a skinny dip in the Clark Fork River (okay, maybe not.....unless I drink a lot of Moose Drool and Summer Honey). My mom is driving into Missoula that morning to watch me finish. After lunch and brews with the RT gang, I'll be heading off to my mom's new house about 80 miles east of Missoula. Chances are, I won't be driving. Monday, it's back to Missoula in the afternoon to catch a plane back to Rapid City (via Denver).

If you can't tell, I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple of days. If I could only get this damn work week out of the way so I could get going already....

No comments: