Wednesday, August 22, 2007

3 days til Lean Horse

I ran my last run before Lean Horse this morning, an easy 5 miler. Physically, I guess I'm as ready as I'm gonna get at this point. Mentally, I've decided that this is by far the stupidest idea I've ever acted on (I have a lot of stupid ideas but, fortunately, I usually restrain myself from acting on them). If I'd actually gone through a long, 50K-specific training plan, I'd probably be a little more confident about the race. But, as it is, I basically did two marathon plans (Fargo and Missoula) back to back and then tacked on some ultra-esque training in the six short weeks I had between Missoula and Lean Horse. I keep telling myself that a 50K isn't THAT much farther than a marathon, but it's not helpin.

So, two days of rest (an oddity in itself for me) and then Lean Horse on Saturday. The weather is supposed to be nice and cool for the next two days and then warming up again (a forecasted high of 90 in Hot Springs) on Saturday. Fortunately, temps early on Saturday should be in the low 50s and the race starts at 6 AM, so it'll at least be pleasant for a couple of hours.

As of now, there are 25 runners registered for the 50K (along with 113 hundred milers and 46 fifty milers). My primary goal is to survive. My secondary goal is to finish in 4:30 (8:40 pace) which may or may not be totally unrealistic for a first timer. If I make it to halfway in one piece, I should be golden because it's all downhill from there. If I don't then, well, they'll probably be able to find me by heading toward the circling vultures.

No comments: