Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Winter has arrived

If you were in one of those pools where a bunch of people put in some cash and try to predict the date of the first measurable snowfall and you picked November 20, you probably got laughed at. Well, who's laughing now? Not me because A) I wasn't in one of those pools and B) I don't particularly care for snow. But, I live in South Dakota, so I'm gonna get it whether I like it or not.

So, yeah, I woke up this morning to a couple of inches of fresh snow and it was still coming down pretty good. Fortunately, the wind was minimal, so after I bundled up (wearing my running tights and facemask for the first time this fall) running was actually pretty comfortable. I was most concerned about the footing on the unplowed streets and unshoveled sidewalks, but to start out it wasn't bad. The further I went though, the worse it got because it was getting warmer and the snow was piling up, which resulted in a slushy, wet mess that is more tiring to run through than it's worth. So, although the plan called for 12 miles, I cut it short at 10. I actually wouldn't mind running in this kind of weather at all.....if I had someone on an ATV with a snowplow to clear a path for me as I went. If anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas, keep that in mind.

No comments: