Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Mother Nature needs to take her medication

Anyone who knows me well knows that Mother Nature and I don't really get along that well. It's like a love/hate relationship without the love part. My wife says that it's something I need to accept when I choose to live in South Dakota, but I say I'll live wherever I damn well please and Mother Nature should accomodate my running life.

Case in point: yesterday the old hag was actually pretty kind to me. It was a tropical 50 degrees when I ran in the morning, the first time I've run outside in a t-shirt and shorts for awhile (and probably the last for awhile too). It was all a setup though. Today, it was about 20 degrees, which isn't too bad, but when you add in a nice stiff breeze and the associated windchill, it can get downright miserable. Somewhere between miles 7 and 8 of my 12 miler this morning, I was fairly certain that I was going to suffer frostbite on my hands. Fortunately, my loop put the wind at my back eventually and I managed to thaw my hands out somewhat, which isn't made any easier when you're holding a bottle full of gatorade that is quickly turning to slush because it's so cold.

What's my point? Mother Nature is a dirty, dirty, two dollar !@#$!@%. That's my point. Okay, I'm done ranting.....for now.

2 comments:

jen said...

Brrrrr. I can't imagine running in that kind of cold- the gatorade slushee blows my mind. You are so hard core! Keep up the good work Chris! :)

Willis said...

I agree with jen. Running 70+ mpw in South Dakota winter is WAY HARDCORE. Makes my 100 miler weeks with radiology call on top look like easy street. I have a hard time getting up and running in 45F and sunny on the beach!

Sounds like BQ land is looking really good for you. Keep us posted!