Sunday, December 16, 2007

My new Grand Master Plan to BQ

Yesterday I ran a 16 miler. My legs were sore in all kinds of new places after playing basketball for the first time in a couple of years on Friday afternoon, so I wasn't expecting too much out of this run. But, after everything got loosened up, I felt good and cruised along, again, about 15-20 seconds per mile faster than my intended long run pace. I was still feeling fresh toward the end so, with a mile to go, I clicked my ipod forward to my current favorite song, "The Bleeding" by Five Finger Death Punch. I proceeded to crank out a 7:09 final mile (and that only after I noticed at half a mile that I was on sub-7 pace and backed off a little), six seconds faster than my Boston qualifying pace. I can't help but wonder if I just put that song on repeat and let myself get lost in the rage if I can't rip off a 3:10 in Colorado in May??

If you're interested, you can watch a video of the song on YouTube by clicking on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zrJyNgyNQ . WARNING: Do not click on that if you're an old fogey who despises pissed off heavy metal music!! There isn't any cussing, just a lot of screaming and rage. It's actually a love song, from a very dark perspective.

By the way, I've now run for 28 straight days (how'd that happen??). I'm debating whether or not to take today off or to continue the streak, just for the hell of it. I'm sure it's no coincidence that since my current running streak started, the Seahawks haven't lost a game (their last loss was on Nov. 4th, my last rest day was on Nov. 17). I wouldn't want something stupid, like me not running, to interfere with them winning the Super Bowl...better get to it...

No comments: