Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The week in review: Godsmack, head colds and some running

Wow, I've been slacking off here.... So, to fill the void, I'll write a little bit about my last week or so of training/life. As if anyone cares about the intricacies of my running schedule, but this is my blog damn it, so just sit there and read!! Sorry...

Last week went pretty well training-wise, which is good because it was the last week of any real training before Lean Horse, which is now only 11 days away. Here's a breakdown of my workouts:

Sunday - "Rest"....that's in quotation marks because I spent the entire day on my feet cleaning the house, so it wasn't really restful at all and when I finally sat down sometime in the evening after dinner I realized that I was wiped.

Monday - 8 miles easy. Whether I intended to do them at an easy pace or not, an easy pace was all I was gonna get after the previous day of cleaning and the 18 miler the day before that.

Tuesday - 10 miles with the last 5 @ Marathon Pace (around 7:38 min/mile). Felt much better than the 8 on Monday and it felt particularly good the last 5 miles to stretch my legs a little.

Tuesday Night - Ever hear of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally? Well, imagine a few hundred thousand bikers all in one place at one time. Now, throw in a Godsmack concert (with Fuel and Ted Nugent as the opening acts). Now, add me and a few (or 6....or maybe 10) beers. Good times....

Wednesday - Okay, add up all the stuff from Tuesday night. What do you get? You get me sleep deprived and hungover. What don't you get? Me running.

Thursday - 5 miles @ recovery pace. Back in the saddle and recovered from Godsmack, but now I have a head cold.

Friday - 14 miles easy. Day 1 of my back to back long runs. Felt okay overall, but my legs didn't feel too good going uphill.

Saturday - 20 miles easy. Day 2 of the back to back. After one block I was pretty sure that this was going to be one of the most miserable experiences of my life. My legs were achey and I just didn't feel like I was going to be able to find any rhythm whatsoever. It doesn't help that my long run route is a net uphill on the way out. By the time I reached the 10 mile point I was pretty damn tired and hot (the wind had been at my back). But, once I turned around and started heading back I fell into a good groove and was greeted with a nice head wind to cool me off. The second 10 miles went much better than the first 10 and I actually finished feeling stronger than I had at the end of my 18 miler the week before. Hopefully a good sign.

So, there it is. I'm now in taper mode for Lean Horse, which means that I'm running less and obsessing more. When I checked yesterday, I was one of 21 runners registered for the 50K and still the only one from South Dakota. Home field advantage?? I'll take any help I can get...

No comments: